General queries for all BHER-affiliated degrees

1. If I have earned a Certificate or Diploma, will I be guaranteed admission to a BHER-affiliated degree?

Degree programs offered under the BHER project have their own admissions requirements, so students completing certificates and diplomas offered under BHER are not guaranteed admission. However, BHER students will be considered first for positions in these degrees.  Non-BHER students may be admitted to degree programs if an insufficient number of BHER certificate and  diploma graduates meet a given degree’s eligibility requirements.

2. Will students graduating from the BHER affiliated institutions be invited to the universities’ main campuses to attend their graduation ceremonies?
This is not possible due to budgetary and logistical constraints.

3. What happens in August and December terms if there is no lunch and transport stipend?
BHER Central is working with donors to secure transportation and lunch stipends for August and December terms. Students will be notified accordingly for arrangements that will be made.

4. Will data bundles be provided to the students?
In addition to the two computer labs at the BHER Learning Centre, BHER Project has dedicated resources to ensuring internet is available at the secondary schools in the camps of Hagadera, Dagahaley and Ifo. Students will also benefit from Instant Network Schools in the camps. While BHER project funding does not allow us to provide data bundles to individual students in any program of study, we are working with donors to explore the possibility of data bundles directly to students in any of the programs offered. Students will be notified accordingly for arrangements that will be made should this opportunity materialize.

5. As a BHER student, am I allowed to enroll into two degree programs simultaneously?
No, students will only be permitted to pursue one degree program offered by the three academic institutions affiliated with BHER. However, students may apply to any of the degrees on offer. If you are applying to more than one program, please be certain you have filled out the additional form ranking your preference among the programs for which you have applied.

6. Can the project provide more degree programs than the 4 currently on offer?
Current funding allows BHER project to offer the following four degrees under the BHER project:

  1. A. in Geography, York University
  2. Ed. Arts, Kenyatta University
  3. Ed. Science, Kenyatta University
  4. Sc. Community Health Education, Moi University.


Kenyatta University

7. Do I need to do Teaching Practice at degree level after graduating with a Diploma in Teacher Education-Primary from Kenyatta University, or a Diploma in Teacher Education – Secondary from Moi University?
Yes, Kenyatta University requires that an additional teaching practice be done at the degree level, even if one was already done so at the diploma level.

8. Can someone who completed the Moi University Diploma in Teacher Education-Secondary (Science) be eligible to enroll in B.Ed. Arts at Kenyatta University? Can someone move from the Moi University Diploma (Arts) to the B.Ed. Sciences offered by Kenyatta University?
This is possible if you meet all the admissions requirements for the degree.  However, for students starting B.Ed. Arts after finishing an Arts education diploma, and for students entering a B.Ed. Science degree after finishing a science education diploma, there are certain units that are waived. Planning for degrees under BHER assumes students continue in the same discipline and have these units waived. If you take an alternate path through the programs, you may be left with some missing units which the BHER project is unable to fund. In this case, you would be expected to bear the cost of these additional units. You would be asked to confirm your understanding of this in writing before being admitted.

9. Can you confirm if the Teacher Service Commission considers English and Literature two separate teaching subjects? Or would a student of English/Literature need to take an additional subject in order to qualify for TSC with two teaching subjects?
TSC consider English and Literature as one teaching subject.   This is an issue affecting all English/Literature education students at KU, not just those supported under the BHER Project. The KU School of Education currently has a proposal before KU Senate to address this. Under this proposal, English/Literature students would take 10 units in English, 10 units in Literature, and 10 units in another subject area, for a total of 30 subject specialization units. KU education students in other subject specializations usually take 15 units in each of two subject specializations for a total of 30 units. If this proposal is approved, English/Literature students would take the same total number of credits as their peers with different subject specializations. Students applying to KU for English/Literature must also select another subject specialization at the time of application.

10. Some students enrolled in the Kenyatta University Diploma in Teacher Education – Primary program failed some of the courses in their first semester. When will they do the re-take exam? Will this affect their eligibility to be admitted into the B.Ed Arts or B.Ed. Science in advance of the September term?
A response to this question will be confirmed by Kenyatta University in the month of July, following a response from the Dean of Education.

11. If a student enrolled in one of the KU Degrees is repatriated or resettled abroad, how can he or she complete the teaching practice placement? Does KU have a plan to accommodate students with these circumstances?
At this time, KU is only able to supervise and grant marks to students for teaching practice placements that are carried out within Kenya.  Especially in light of an expected increase in repatriation of refugees to Somalia, KU will be reviewing this matter and will advise enrolled students of any changes in this policy.

12. What can I do if the tablet provided to me is not working? How else can I access the course content?
If your tablet is not working, you should first bring it to BHER ICT Technician Nickson Rutto for assessment, as he may be able to fix some problems. For serious problems, the tablet would need to be sent to Kenyatta University in Nairobi for repair. If the problem with the tablet is a result of user error and neglect (e.g. the screen has cracked, it has been dropped in water, etc.) the student will be required to bear the cost of any repair. The BHER project does not have additional funds to replace lost tablets or tablets damaged due to neglect.

All materials available on the tablet can be accessed on any internet-connected computer using a web browser. If you are without a working tablet, you may visit the BHER Learning Centre or an internet-connected computer at the secondary schools in the camps to access these materials.

13. If I have Diploma in Education from another recognized University or College and have not finished the Diploma in Secondary Education from Moi University and University of British Columbia or York University Certificate in Educational Studies – Elementary, am I eligible to apply to the Degree Programs offered by Kenyatta University?
Depending on your past program of study, it is possible you will be eligible for admission. However, as explained under item 2 above, the degrees offered by Kenyatta University under the BHER project have been designed assuming that students will have completed certain specific units in their diploma programs, so that these specific units can be waived as they enter a degree program. If you have not yet completed your diploma under BHER, you may not have the required units to be waived. If you wish to follow this path, you may have to bear the cost of the additional units.

14. Can students who fail in the current KU Diploma, but have another Diploma from accredited institutions in Kenya be allowed to progress for the two year Degree program?
Students who have failed one or more courses during the KU diploma may be eligible for enrolment in the KU B.Ed. degree offered under BHER if they hold another Diploma from an accredited institution. However, the degree courses funded by BHER assume that all BHER B.Ed. students have completed a particular set of courses at the Diploma level, for which they can receive credit waiver. Students who have failed some KU BHER diploma courses may not have all the credits required for waiver, and may be required to complete some additional courses at their own expense.

15. Shall the students joining KU degree programs be issued with new tablets?
If you were issued with a tablet during your KU diploma studies, this tablet is expected to continue to serve you in your degree level studies, and you will not be issued with a new one. The BHER project is seeking funding to purchase tablets for students who are new to KU. Should this funding materialize, students will be issued with tablets when they begin their degree-level studies.

16. What is a major, regular and minor teaching subject?
Students with a “major” teaching subject and a “minor” teaching subject take more credits in the major subject, and relatively very few in the minor subject. KU students under the BHER Project will all follow a common program which does not have majors and minors, but only offers “regular” concentrations. This means that BHER students will take an equal number of courses in each teaching subject.

17. How will the institution handle the practical courses (laboratory work) in B.Ed. sciences? Will students be taken to the university laboratories in Nairobi?
Students will complete their laboratory work in the Dadaab area, likely making use of the science lab in a local secondary school. We are not planning for students to visit labs in Nairobi for this purpose.


Moi University

18. Is the health degree only for refugees?
No. Being one of the undergraduate programs in Moi University School of Nursing, the B.Sc. Community health education degree is open to other students who are not refugees, including those on Moi’s downtown campus in Eldoret. It is a four-year program approved by the Moi University senate and meets the guidelines stipulated by the Commission for University Education.  Although it is a four-year program, individuals who have previously earned a diploma (as in the case of most BHER students) have the opportunity to complete the degree within two years.

19. Will the health degree students get academic transcripts every semester or at the end of the program?
The School of Nursing of Moi University will issue students with provisional transcripts at the end of every semester. Upon graduation, the students will be issued with the final transcripts together with the degree certificate.

20. Are there any TSC requirements for one to be admitted to the health degree program?
No. The health degree program is not regulated by TSC thus no TSC requirements. However, one must meet the admission requirements of Moi University to qualify for admission into the program.

21. Will students in the Moi University program be issued with a tablet?
Currently, there is no budget for tablets. Since MUSOMI platform only needs internet for one to access, the computer labs in the BHER learning center can suffice. However, should funds become available for tablets, they may be provided.

22. Where will we do our practical courses?
The School of Nursing of Moi University will attach students to the health facilities in Dadaab where practical courses will be done.


University of British Columbia/Moi University

23. Can the remaining course content for the Diploma in Teacher Education – Arts (Cohort 1 and 2) be condensed to end in December 2016?  Would this allow students to move directly to a degree in January 2017 and complete their full degrees before BHER funding ends in 2018?
Moi University and UBC have confirmed it will not be possible to condense courses for DTE-S Arts to end early. Students in this program will need to continue their studies (courses and teaching practice) through July of 2017 in order to graduate with a diploma, and would be eligible to apply to begin degree-level studies under the BHER project in April 2017, with courses beginning in September 2017.

24. What happens to students who failed one or more courses in DTE-S, even after supplemental/retake exams? Are they eligible to continue to degrees?
Students who do not pass all courses required for the diploma program will not be able to earn their diploma. Holding a diploma is a prerequisite for degrees from KU and MU offered under BHER. While the York University degree in Geography does not strictly require that applicants hold a diploma, admission is contingent on a strong academic record, and a record of failure in previous academic programs will weaken a student’s application. In some cases, if a student holds another diploma from an accredited Kenyan institution, they may still be eligible to apply to degree programs, but this may affect their credit waivers.  See the response to Question 7, above, for more information.


York University

25. Can students who resettle to Canada near York University be allowed into YU campuses?
York University students under the BHER project receive valid YU student ID cards, and if they are in Toronto they will have access to the York University Library and other facilities just as any other student enrolled in YU programs would.

26. What criteria will be used to admit students into the YU Geography degree?
In order to be considered for admission to the YU degree in Geography, applicants must meet the following minimum criteria:

  • Have graduated from secondary school and hold a KCSE or equivalent;
  • Hold at least thirty credits or the equivalent at the university level (ten half-courses or one year of full-time study) from York University, Moi/UBC, Kenyatta University, or another accredited university approved by York University;
  • Have earned the equivalent of a York University C+ average (GPA of 6) in previous university-level studies.

Admission to York University degree in Geography is likely to be competitive, as a larger number of applications than spots available have been received. York University will consider several factors when assessing student applications, including applicants’ marks in Certificate and Diploma programs, the number of courses/credits/units they have completed to date, as well as barriers that may prevent them from studying in the KU and MU degree programs.

27. Because it may be difficult for students resettling abroad to complete degrees from KU or MU due to requirements for on-site exams and practicums, the YU degree may better accommodate students who resettle outside of Africa.  As a result, can YU give priority to applications from students who have confirmation they will resettle abroad in the coming months?
As noted above under item 2, barriers that may prevent applicants from studying in the KU or MU degree programs will be one of the several factors considered during the York University admissions process. Upcoming resettlement will be considered during the admissions process, but will not guarantee admission to the YU degree program.

28. When will the CES-E Cohort 2 students get their YU transcripts?
CES-E Cohort 2 students will officially graduate on June 23, 2016 from York University. After that date, transcripts and certificates will be issued and mailed to Dadaab. We expect students to be able to pick these up from BHER staff at the BHER Learning Centre during the month of August 2016.

29. Can I enroll directly from CES-E to the Geography Degree?
While this is technically possible, in 2016 York University will generally give priority to Cohort 1 students who have been studying in BHER-supported university programs for two years. Very few exceptions may be made for extremely high-achieving CES-E students of Cohort 2 with special circumstances. Most 2016 CES-E graduates are advised to apply for study in the KU Diploma in Teacher Education (Primary) for 2016-2017, and to apply to degrees in 2017 after completing a diploma.

There will be some CES-E graduates who will not qualify for entry to the KU diploma because they have a KCSE average of D+ or D, or because of problems with their documentation. Within this group, students with an average in CES-E of C+ or higher will be invited to apply to take one year-long online course from York University in 2016-2017, titled WRIT1700: Writing Process and Practice. Students who successfully complete this course with a mark of C or higher in 2017 would qualify for admission to the York University Geography degree in 2017.